Student Work Placement
Through the following program employers can apply for wage subsidies to help them hire post-secondary students across Canada.
- Up to $5,000 for every student you hire through the program
- Up to $7,000 for every student you hire that is in their first year or is from an under-represented group including:
- women in STEM
- persons with disabilities
- newcomers; and
- Indigenous students
- As a COVID-19 measure, subsidy is offered at 75% coverage (maximum $7500) for all students, until March 2021.
Applications can be submitted through the following Employer Delivery Partners:
- Information Technology Association of Canada
- Information and Communication Technology Council
- Canadian Council for Aerospace and Aviation
- ECO Canada
- Biotalent Canada
- Electricity Human Resources Canada
- Mining Industry Human Resources Council
- Venture for Canada
- Magnet Student Work Placement Program
The National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP)
NRC IRAP delivers this program under the federal government’s Youth Employment and Skills Strategy, which aims to help young Canadians get career information, develop skills, find good jobs, and stay employed.
Eligibility criteria for business:
- a small or medium-sized business (500 or fewer full-time equivalents)
- incorporated and for-profit
- ready to enhance your innovation capacity and willing to partner with NRC IRAP
Eligibility criteria for potential hires:
- 15 to 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- a post-secondary graduate
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or person granted refugee status in Canada
- legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations
- a first-time participant in a Youth Employment and Skills Strategy work experience program targeted at post-secondary graduates.
Youth Employment and Skills Strategy funding can be applied for through the following programs:
- Beyond Canada – Launch a young person’s career on the global stage. If yours is an international development organization looking to hire youth with an avid interest in an overseas paid internship, the Government of Canada provides support through this program. The next application period will be in 2020-2021.
- Build Canada’s green economy from STEM to leaf. The Government of Canada will provide your business with funding for hiring youth in green jobs in the STEM fields.
- Build tomorrow’s titans of tech. Partner with the Government of Canada to provide young Canadians with paid, practical, on-the-job information and communications technologies experience.
- Connect tomorrow’s workforce with Canada’s digital economy. Help youth enhance and develop digital and workplace skills through paid internship opportunities in partnership with the Government of Canada.
- Create immersive work experiences for young people to continue their language learning across Canada. The Government of Canada partners with organizations like yours to create summer job opportunities for students to continue learning their second language across the country. Applications can be submitted throughout the year.
- Create summer jobs for youth to explore the world of work. Provide create quality summer work experiences for youth, the Government of Canada is there to help. And the program isn’t only for students anymore.
- Develop next generation tech with Canada’s next generation. Work with the Government of Canada to help young people get a boost on a career in STEM across the natural resource sectors.
- Develop the future caretakers of Canada’s national treasures. Work with Parks Canada to provide youth across the country with paid summer employment at national parks, historic sites and marine conservation areas across the country.
- First Nations and Inuit Skills Link Program. Does your organization help First Nations and Inuit youth build up job-related skills and learn about career options? Let the Government of Canada help you.
- First Nations and Inuit Summer Work Experience Program. The Government of Canada will help you provide jobs to First Nations and Inuit youth to build their skills, prepare for full-time employment and earn some money through summer work experience.
- Hire tomorrow’s tech talent. Hire young tech talent to help breathe new life into your business. If you are a small or medium-sized Canadian enterprise, you can apply for financial support to hire young talent. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Launch a young Canadian’s career in both Official Languages. The Government of Canada offers funding for domestic and international internships to youth who want to work in both official languages in the language industry in Canada and overseas.
- Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage. Look no further for summer help. Partner with us, build your organization and provide career-focused summer job experience to young Canadian history buffs.
- Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage Organizations. The Government of Canada is looking to join forces with you to provide paid domestic and international internship opportunities to youth to begin their careers in the heritage, arts and cultural sectors.
- Youth facing barriers: Expand their options and potential. Passionate about working with Youth facing barriers? Improve their access to the labour market and have a fair chance in life. Tailor support to help young people to build a stronger and more inclusive Canada.